Enrolling and Eligibility

I've had a qualified status change (e.g., marriage, birth of a child, divorce). How do I change my benefits?

You should click here to process your qualified status change. For a list of qualified status changes, click here.

What if I have questions about my benefits choices?

For questions about your benefits, call the Baker Hughes Benefits Center at 1-866-244-3539. They are available Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CST.

I am a new hire or have transferred to the company. How do I enroll in benefits?

You can find information about how to enroll here.

Who is eligible for Health and Protection benefits?

You are eligible for health and protection benefits if your payroll is U.S.-based and you’re either a regular full-time employee or a benefits-eligible part-time employee (regularly scheduled to work at least 20 hours per week).

Eligible employees do not include:

  • Temporary, contract or seasonal employees;
  • Employees hired outside of the United States and who work outside of the United States;
  • Employees who are members of a bargaining unit whose agreement does not provide for these benefits; and
  • Employees whose payroll is processed by the legacy GE Oil & Gas payroll system.

Who can I cover on my benefits?

You can cover your legal spouse of the opposite or same gender, including common law spouses in states recognizing common law marriage, or a legally separated spouse in states recognizing legal separation. 

You can cover your eligible dependent children up to age 26 regardless of whether they are married, full-time students or eligible for other group health plan coverage. In addition, you can cover your unmarried dependent children up to any age who are supported by you because of mental or physical disability; the disability must have occurred during the period in which they were an eligible dependent (up to age 26). 

Eligible children include:

  • Your biological children
  • Your adopted children and children placed for adoption
  • Your stepchildren
  • Foster children in your care
  • Any children for whom you have legal custody
  • Any children for whom there is a Qualified Medical Child Support Order (QMCSO)

How do I add my dependent children under the age of 26 to my Baker Hughes benefits?

Log in to myRewards and you will be prompted to add your dependents to the plan. You will be asked to verify each dependent added to coverage.

How do I add my disabled dependents over the age of 26 to my Baker Hughes benefits?

Call the Baker Hughes Benefits Center at 1-866-244-3539 to get assistance with adding your disabled dependents to your medical plan. You will be walked through the process of certifying your disabled dependents through UHC.

Can my spouse be covered if she/he has benefits available from her/his employer?

Yes, you can cover your spouse even if she/he has benefits available from another employer; however, your spouse’s employer plan will be considered primary and the Baker Hughes plan will be considered secondary coverage.

My spouse and I both work for Baker Hughes. Can we both enroll in coverage?

Yes, you can both enroll in coverage. You may each enroll independently or you may cover your spouse as an eligible dependent.

Who is eligible to participate in the Baker Hughes 401(k) plan?

You are eligible to participate in the Baker Hughes 401(k) plan if you are:

  • Employed by Baker Hughes Incorporated or an affiliate that has adopted the Thrift Plan (each, a “Baker Hughes Company”)
  • Covered by a collective bargaining agreement, your agreement must provide for participation
  • Paid on a U.S. dollar payroll; 
  • 18 years of age or older; and 
  • One of the following:
  1. A U.S. citizen, legal permanent resident or a non-U.S. citizen whose employment is based in the United States on local terms and conditions; 
  2. A Canadian citizen on an international assignment to the U.S. and not eligible for the International Retirement Plan; 
  3. A participant in the Plan since December 31, 1998; or 
  4. A participant in the Plan since your transfer of employment from the Western Geophysical division of Western Atlas International, Inc. between January 1, 1999, and December 31, 2000 (but only if you were a participant in the Western Atlas International, Inc. Retirement/Profit Sharing Plan on December 31, 1998).